Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fattoush Salad

Fattoush, which means "crumbled bread" in Arabic, is one of my favorite Levantine mezza dishes. I first had it in Amman and was absolutely floored by the bright flavors I tasted in each bite. Who knew vegetables could be so delicious?! Traditionally, fattoush is a mix of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, parsley and mint, olive oil, lemon juice, sumac or za'atar (fabulous!) seasoning, and of course, pita chips! When I was looking in the fridge tonight, I realized I didn't have a lot of the ingredients, but I went ahead and tried making my own version, using the ingredients I did have! I'll show you how to make a simplified version of fattoush and you'll be saying "wow". And even better, it doesn't take long to prepare at all! This version is just for one person. Enjoy!

What you'll need:
1 Cucumber
Lots of Grape Tomatoes, around 15
A handful of pita chips
A handful of dill (thanks to Suzanne for letting us pick some from the garden. It was delicious)
A dash of sea salt and pepper
1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. of lemon juice

Directions:
1. Peel and dice the cucumbers into one inch cubes.
2. Slice the grace tomatoes into small one inch cubes.
3. Mix cucumbers and grape tomatoes together.
4. Finely chop the dill and mix in with the cucumbers and toatoes.
5. Dress the mixture with the EVOO, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
6. Now crush the pita chips. You can either use store-bought pita chips like I did or make your own. If you do decide to make your own, just take a pita, break into bite size pieces, and bake in the oven till golden brown. Season with a little salt and pepper or get creative, and use some interesting seasonings!

7. Mix the pita chips in with everything else. Serve immediately. You don't want the pita chips getting soggy!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment