Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Very-Berry Tart with Citrus-Infused Whipped Cream

It was 80 degrees out yesterday and I loved it. Even if summer was just teasing me with the warm air and blooms in the trees, it was the best day in April a girl could ask for. Driving home with the windows down and Cut Copy playing on my Ipod, all I could think about was how much I wanted summer to come. Oh, and how hungry I was (no surprise there)! I wanted something light and easy, something summery. Salad could do, but I get that pretty much everyday for lunch. Why not something sweet? Something with fruit! So that's exactly what I did. I came home and made fresh berry tart topped with citrusy-infused wonderfulness whipped cream. I loved it and so did Ty. Actually, he ate three of them, the crazy boy. But all in all, it was the perfect end to an almost-summery day. Here's the recipe, enjoy!

What you'll need:
1 package of frozen puff pastries - I actually made the puff pastry from scratch, but it's VERY time and labor intensive. Pre-made puff pastries are a perfect option, since we're all about minimizing the amount of work and maximizing the yumminess! But If you'd like the recipe, please let me know. I'll be glad to share it with you!
1 package of raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, or strawberries
1 tbsp water
3 tbsp red wine - I used Shiraz red wine since it compliments the tartness and sweetness of the berries so well
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 muffin or cupcake pan

For the whipped cream:

1/2 pint of lite whipping cream
1 orange
1/2 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp sugar

Directions:
1) For frozen puff pastries, you'll first want to thaw your dough to room temperature. It'll make it much easier to handle when you roll the dough to your preferred consistency. I like my dough nice and thin to give it that flaky perfect texture. Other options for puff pastry include angel food cake and pound cake! Also, if you don't have a rolling pin (don't worry, I don't either), you can use a wine bottle. I actually chilled an empty bottle in the freezer and then sprinkled the exterior with flour to make sure it didn't stick to the dough. 
2) As your dough is thawing,  preheat the oven to 400°F. 
3) Ok, now let's work on making the berry compote. Take a little sauce pot and add a tbsp of water. While it's heating, start adding the berries and then the best part, the wine. Make sure to keep it on low heat though - you want the fruit to maintain its shape and texture. Once the fruit and juices have begun reducing, turn off the heat and add the sugar. Make sure you stir, burnt sugar is not sexy. This whole process should take no more than 5 minutes!
4) So the oven's probably ready by now. Get your muffin pans ready and grease.
5) Now, take your dough and roll to whatever thinness you'd like. Next, cut out squares big enough to cover each little individual muffin cup and place in the muffin pan.
6) If you'd like, you can make a nice cinnamon egg wash to give the puff pastry that something special. Just beat one egg and add a dash of cinnamon. Brush on to the puff pastry.
7) Once that's done, spoon in the berry compote. But don't forget to drain the berry juices. You'll need that later. Fold the puff pastry around to make a nice home for the berries.
8) Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes! When the crust is golden brown, you know it's done!
9) On to the whipped cream. You'll first want to take out your mixer and add the 1/2 cup of creamer. 
10) As it's beating, add the vanilla extract and sugar
11) If you'd like, you could also zest some citrus, like oranges and lemons. I ended up doing both!
12) The consistency of the whipped cream should be fluffy, but a little stiff. Add once the pastries are out of the oven and have had time to cool. And just a little warning, it may deflate a little by the time your pastries are done, but that's ok! No one will care. They'll be too busy devouring your berrylicious treat!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic!!! I may have to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious...although I always recommend going for the real thing -- heavy whipping cream. Go big or go home. :)

    ReplyDelete