Sunday, April 10, 2011

Guacamole

So I’m embarrassed to say it, but I used to be one of those people that ran to the store to buy some guacamole, scooped it into a nice glass bowl, and then brought it to a party and said "yep, I made that!" The ease and convenience of buying pre-made guacamole was just too darn irresistible. But after watching Ty make his homemade guacamole recipe one day, I never turned back. How could I? In just one crunchy, scoopable Tostito, I was overwhelmed with the freshness and powerful flavor of the avocado, cilantro, lime, and cumin.  Now, it’s my turn to convert you and trust me, you will. You can use this guacamole as a traditional dip or add it as a garnish or sauce to other dishes like hamburgers, omelets, tacos, baked potatoes, and deli sandwiches. Trust me, it's a much tastier, healthier, and refined substitute for whatever you may have normally added. Enjoy!

What you'll need:
2 Avocados, Halved and seeded
3 vine tomatoes, diced
1 lime, juiced
1 quarter of an onion
1 jalapeno, seeded – keep the seeds if you like your guacamole super spicy
LOTS of chopped cilantro
A sprinkle of kosher salt and pepper
1 tsp of cumin

Directions:
1) Blend the avocado and lime juice in a food processor. Mixing the lime with the avocado first will help maintain the bright green color of the avocado. No one likes a brown goopy mess. Also, if you don’t have a food processor, which is perfectly alright, mash the avocados by hand and chop everything else a bit finer so it’s easier to mix and eat.

   2) Now work on dicing the tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos. Make sure you drain the tomatoes of the juice. Ty just cuts them in half and squeezes them over the trash can. Otherwise, your guacamole will be too watery.
   3) Once everything is done, fold in the diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, and cilantro. But don’t over-blend.  The chunky texture will give it that extra yummy homemade taste and I guarantee you, it'll set it apart from all the store bought guacamoles out there.
     4) Season with salt and pepper and cumin. Make sure to do a test taste, just don’t taste too much!

P.S. Be playful with this recipe. If you think of something to add or something to take away, do it. Making it your own is the beauty of cooking. 

3 comments:

  1. I am such a guacaholic, too! Miss you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Oh also-- I have a blog, too! I just update about my life and such, to keep in touch with my friends from far away. The URL is http://absandthegreatworld.blogspot.com. I would love if you would read it and follow it and we could keep in each others lives more!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting with the cumin. I've never tried that before. We are guacaholics too! Anytime avocados come on sale we usually make guac. Keep the blogroll coming K-chen

    ReplyDelete