Monday, November 5, 2012

Taiwan: An Introduction

 

Taichi in the mornings;

Fan tuan (反團 - rice roll), you tiao (油条 - fried dough stick), and dou jiang (豆漿 - soybean milk) for breakfast;

Long naps;

Bargain shopping in Shilin District;

Stops at random CoCo stores to get bubble milk tea;

Snacking on local Taiwanese cuisine at the night food markets;

Exploring the unique creations at bakeries dotting the many streets of Taipei;

And late night talks and singing sessions with my a-ma.

These are only some of the things I love about Taiwan and some of the things I got to do while traveling there these last two weeks. In the next few posts I would like to share with you my stories and experiences in Taiwan, except told through food. It's amazing how food can make and transform memories, bring people together, and tell a story. And that's a story I would love to share with all of you!

Plus, you can count this as a helpful introduction to Taiwanese cuisine. If you ever do decide to go to Taiwan, which I strongly strongly recommend (did I say strongly?), you can use these posts as a reference for some of the speciality Taiwanese dishes you should not miss. Many of these dishes are dishes that I grew up eating and are the heart of Taiwanese cooking. Believe me, you will not want to miss this!

Stay posted! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment